Saturday, May 7, 2011

Roast Beast

Dear Blog,

So sorry I've neglected you so badly the last two months; I will try to be more attentive in the upcoming summer months, now that I'm not so overwhelmed with piles of papers screaming to be graded.

With that said, besides the grading I've spent the last couple weeks along with my husband doing some serious introspection about our eating habits and we both came to the conclusion that we spend far too much money and time on dining out. So, I decided if we are going to cook in much more often than I needed to be both health concious and creative with meal preparation. I finally bought a meat weight iron that I can used to make paninis, which  is my latest favourite thing to make. Thus far I've used chicken and ham and cheese and want to experiment w/Roast beef. 

Part of trying to be more healthy at this point is avoiding processed food whenever possible and lunchmeat at the deli counter is processed and therefore, contains harmful chemicals. Between Michael Pollan, Jillian Michaels and Oxygen magazine I'm trying to stay informed (even if I don't always make the right choices) and eat cleaner. So today I bought a roast (top round) and I'm following this recipe from Hungry Mouse: http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/03/09/make-your-own-deli-style-roast-beef/ and now I'm waiting for it to cool and for hubby to get back from store with an electric carver, so I can slice it deli thin, fingers crossed it works.

Well the meat thermometer I bought didn't work and the roast was too rare, so after slicing we stuck it back in the oven for another 40 min. It will probably be tougher than anticipated, but we will make use of it anyway and now I know to buy a smaller roast(maybe an eye of round next time) and a functioning meat thermometer.

No comments:

Post a Comment